Carbon monoxide leak closes part of Mitchell's Main Street

MITCHELL, S.D. (AP) - A carbon monoxide leak inside a tattoo shop prompted the temporary closure of a portion of Mitchell's Main Street.

The Daily Republic reports that emergency responders and officials with NorthWestern Energy responded to Hardcore Inc. shortly before 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Fire Department Battalion Chief Steve Nedved says an unvented water heater in the building's basement caused carbon monoxide to get sucked into a furnace.

Carbon monoxide is a potentially deadly gas. No one was inside the building at the time and no injuries were reported.

(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)