Makes 6 servings.
- 6 large Florida tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium-size red onion, minced
- 3 tbs. red wine vinegar juice of 1/2 lemon 2 tbs. olive oil - 2 to 3 tbs. chopped fresh parsley to taste
- 2 tbs. chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp. dried salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Herb croutons (optional)
Peel the tomatoes by submerging them in boiling water for 15 seconds. Remove to a colander and rinse under cold water. The skins should slip right off. Core the tomatoes and gently squeeze out the seeds. Chop half of them coarsely and puree the other half in a food processor. Combine the puree and shopped tomatoes in a large mixing bowl. Blend the remaining ingredients, except the herb croutons, with the tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving. Serve chilled; garnish with herb croutons.
If you would like a thinner version or need to stretch it, add up to 2 cups tomato juice. For a seafood variation, add a small can of minced clams and their juice.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: 148 calories, 2 g protein, 5 g fat, 14 g carbohydrate, 20 mg sodium.
Courtesy of www.5aday.com