Fire experts want you to have a fantastic time celebrating the 4th of July Holiday. However, thousands of injuries are caused by mishandling fireworks every year. That's why they want you to take some steps to make sure you are using them properly.
The National Council on Fireworks Safety says you need to keep several things in mind when it comes to using fireworks. They say parents need to keep a close eye on teens if they are using fireworks. Also they say keep the young kids away from fireworks and don't let them handle them. It might sound obvious but they also say fireworks should only be used outside. Before you light a firework they say make sure you read the caution label before you light it. They say always have water and a fire extinguisher ready if you will be shooting fireworks. Also they say fireworks and alcohol don't mix so have a designated shooter. They also say you should wear safety glasses when lighting a firework. Also they say never try to relight a "dud" firework. They say wait 20 minutes and then soak the firework in a bucket of water. Fire experts will tell you make sure you soak spent fireworks in water before you put them in the garbage can. A partially lit firework can easily cause a fire. Finally they say you need to obey local laws so if fireworks are not legal where you live, don't shoot them off.
They might not look like much but experts say sparklers cause injuries every single year. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees-hot enough to melt some metals. Experts say first of all always stand when you are using a sparkler. Also never hold a child in your arms while using sparklers. Also never hold or light more than one sparkler at a time. Never throw sparklers. Also remember that a sparkler wire and stick will remain very hot long after the flame has gone out. So remember to drop spent sparklers in a bucket of water. Also only people 12 and up should be using sparklers of any type.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission says that 65 percent of all fireworks injuries in 2011 happened around the July 4th holiday. They say more than half of these injuries were the result of unexpected ignition of the device or consumers not using fireworks as intended. CPSC received reports of four consumers who were killed by either professional-grade or homemade firework devices, while an estimated 9,600 consumers were injured. This is why experts want you to be careful this holiday so you can enjoy the day with your family instead of in an emergency room.
Thursday, April 17 2014 10:13 AM EDT2014-04-17 14:13:31 GMT
Two Sheldon residents are behind bars today. An 11 month long joint investigation between the Sheldon Police Department and the Iowa State Fire Marshall's Office into the 05-14-13 fire which destroyedMore >>
An 11 month long joint investigation between the Sheldon Police Department and the Iowa State Fire Marshall's Office into the 05-14-13 fire which destroyed the Buddz's Sports Bar and Grill in Sheldon, Iowa, has resulted in the arrest of two Sheldon residents on charges of arson.More >>
Thursday, April 17 2014 9:54 AM EDT2014-04-17 13:54:39 GMT
Sioux falls has seen its second murder of 2014 and again, the victim is a woman in her 50's. It happened in a home on the 5600 block of Misty Glen Place in southwest Sioux Falls. Neighbors were surprisedMore >>
Sioux Falls has seen its second murder of 2014 and again, the victim is a woman in her 50's.More >>
Thursday, April 17 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-04-17 04:07:12 GMT
The community of De Smet has been raising funds for a new community wellness and events center for the past year. Last week, the town was till half a million dollars short and many people feared the projectMore >>
People in De Smet came together to raise nearly half a million dollars to complete a new community center. More >>
Thursday, April 17 2014 12:01 AM EDT2014-04-17 04:01:04 GMT
CUSTER, S.D. (AP) - Visitors will have to pay more to tour the two National Park Service caves in the Black Hills starting April 30. The service on Wednesday announced fee increases for tours at JewelMore >>
Park Superintendent Vidal Davila says the fees fund facility upgrades. He says the increases were discussed at public meetings.More >>
Wednesday, April 16 2014 11:48 PM EDT2014-04-17 03:48:46 GMT
For the past two weeks, many people in Brandon have noticed a not-so-pleasant odor. The bad odor is coming from the city's waste water lagoons. The smell has been around since the lagoons were built inMore >>
The bad odor is coming from the city's waste water lagoons. The smell has been around since the lagoons were built in the 1980s, but the city's recent growth has made the odor much more noticeable.More >>