South Dakota legislative panel approves rural health plan
PIERRE, S.D. (AP) - A South Dakota legislative committee has approved the state Health Department's plan for a revamped program that will help recruit health care professionals to rural communities.
The program was approved by the Legislature earlier this year. The Legislature's Rules Review Committee has now endorsed the state Health Department's rules for operating the program.
Nurses, pharmacists and others get an incentive payment of $10,000 if they agree to practice for at least three years in a rural hospital, nursing home or other facility taking part in the program.
In communities with populations of less than 2,500, the state will pay 75 percent of the incentive while the facility pays the other 25 percent. In communities with populations ranging from 2,500 to 10,000, the state and the facility will each pay half.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Thursday, April 17 2014 2:42 PM EDT2014-04-17 18:42:22 GMT
It was over drugs, police say. 53-year-old Brenda Lynn Hansen is dead today, murdered by a man she knew, but wasn't romantically involved with, because he wanted her Oxycontin pills. John Richard Senn,More >>
It was over drugs, police say. Brenda Lynn Hansen, 53, is dead, murdered by a man she knew, but wasn't romantically involved with, because he wanted her Oxycontin pills.More >>
Thursday, April 17 2014 12:53 PM EDT2014-04-17 16:53:39 GMT
George Thorogood and the Destroyers and Gary Clark Jr. are set to headline this year's JazzFest. Sioux Falls Jazz and Blues announced the main stage lineup Thursday at the Washington Pavilion. The lineupMore >>
George Thorogood and the Destroyers will team up with Gary Clark Jr. as headliners at the 2014 JazzFest.More >>
Thursday, April 17 2014 10:13 AM EDT2014-04-17 14:13:31 GMT
Two Sheldon residents are behind bars today. An 11 month long joint investigation between the Sheldon Police Department and the Iowa State Fire Marshall's Office into the 05-14-13 fire which destroyedMore >>
An 11 month long joint investigation between the Sheldon Police Department and the Iowa State Fire Marshall's Office into the 05-14-13 fire which destroyed the Buddz's Sports Bar and Grill in Sheldon, Iowa, has resulted in the arrest of two Sheldon residents on charges of arson.More >>
Thursday, April 17 2014 9:54 AM EDT2014-04-17 13:54:39 GMT
Sioux falls has seen its second murder of 2014 and again, the victim is a woman in her 50's. It happened in a home on the 5600 block of Misty Glen Place in southwest Sioux Falls. Neighbors were surprisedMore >>
Sioux Falls has seen its second murder of 2014 and again, the victim is a woman in her 50's.More >>