While looking at his house from the curb, Grant Simanton came across what ignited his lawn.
"You can still smell the gun powder."
Sunday afternoon, he was sitting on his couch when he heard a blast.
"About an hour later there were two really loud blasts. It shook my house a little bit. I thought it was a gun shot or something," said Simanton. "I came outside to check it out, and I saw part of my lawn was on fire."
In an instant, he was scared.
"Probably up to here I'd say," said Simanton as he pointed to the middle of a street sign.
Fortunately, Simanton's neighbors and local firefighters came to the rescue. But, in a blink, this central Sioux Falls neighborhood could have changed drastically.
"Luckily, it wasn't a windy day because this whole neighborhood could be out of here," he said.
Three patches of Simanton's lawn have been charred. All because of some kids on bikes, trying to get their kicks by throwing fireworks.
"Not a very smart idea in the first place and especially with this weather."