Unattended charcoal grill causes house fire - KSFY News - Sioux Falls, SD News, Weather, Sports

Unattended charcoal grill causes house fire

Posted: Updated:

A fire broke out at a home on South Holbrook Avenue in Sioux Falls Tuesday evening. It started just after 5:00 on the home's deck, starting the grass on fire and spreading into the home.

According to first-responding firefighters, smoke was visible from several blocks away. People were in the house when the fire started, but were outside by the time fire crews arrived on-scene. 

Battalion Chief Ed Van Egdon tells KSFY he believes an unattended charcoal grill is responsible for the fire. Apparently, it tipped over and the coals spilled out.  They burned through the deck, igniting the grass.  Meanwhile, the fire on the deck spread into the home.

It took crews about ten minutes to put out the fire. Firefighters also ripped into the walls of the kitchen area to ensure the fire had not spread further.  The house sustained major smoke and fire damage.

One cat was removed from the home by firefighters.  People living in the home say another cat may have been inside, but it was unaccounted for when fire crews left the scene.

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue would like to remind us to use extreme caution while grilling and using fire pits, particularly in the current dry conditions.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KSFY. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service or our EEO Report.