Sioux Falls Fire Rescue was called to 6707 West 5th Place, located in the Gaslight Manor Mobile Home Park around 11:30 Wednesday night. When they arrived crews found a large fire burning on the front deck area of the home.
At the time of the fire a husband and wife were inside the home sleeping, as were their 13-year-old daughter and 5-year-old son. The family dog started barking loudly when the fire started and woke up the husband. He tells us he woke up to an orange glow and quickly got his family and the dog out of the home. The family cat was rescued later by fire crews. The family was outside the home when crews arrived.
Crews on the scene tell us the fire quickly spread from the deck area to the side of the house and into the roof area. Crews were able to put out the initial fire in about 20 minutes however it took them longer to use chainsaws and axes to cut into the roof area to extinguish smoldering spots that were hard to get to.
Fire Rescue crews tell us the fire started on the deck and the owner told us he did have a cigarette container on the deck. While investigators are looking into the exact cause they say if you are going to have a container outside your home for cigarettes make sure the container will fully extinguish any kind of flammable material and make sure that container isn't too close to your home.
The Red Cross was on the scene to assist the family. It's unclear if the home is a total loss or not.