GETTYSBURG, S.D. (AP) - One person has died and another is hospitalized after a suspected gas leak at a recreation area near Gettysburg.
Potter County Sheriff Curt Hamburger says that the two people were standing in a hole about 4 feet deep to repair a lift station when the workers were overcome by what officials believe is methane gas.
One person died and a second person was flown to a hospital for treatment. Two other people who jumped in to try to help were not injured.
The names of the four people have not been released.
Hamburger says the incident remains under investigation.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)