Neighbors react to SWAT members surrounding Sioux Falls home - KSFY News - Sioux Falls, SD News, Weather, Sports

Neighbors react to SWAT members surrounding Sioux Falls home

Posted: Updated:

Some people who live in a central Sioux Falls neighborhood are reacting to the chaos after a man threatens to take his life inside a home.

Police blocked off a few streets in central Sioux Falls to bring in the SWAT team and negotiators to help the man. It all ended peacefully but some people say it was a scary situation especially just two days after a woman was killed outside a hair salon.

It's known as a quite neighborhood but it didn't look like that Thursday. Streets are blocked off, command posts set up and you couldn't help notice the dozens of officers, some carrying rifles. All of them gathered around a home on the corner of West 10th Street and Menlo Avenue. Police were trying to talk to a man inside the home who was threatening to hurt himself. We met a couple who was driving by and stopped.

"You see it on television and all that but not in real life so it was weird," Danielle Pennel said.

One homeowner told us he has never seen anything quite like it.

"Surprising, shocking, a little bit scary. It was a little scary," Chuck Ostheimer said. .

Police say the man started threatening to hurt himself after his ex-girlfriend told police he raped and assaulted her.

Police say it started Tuesday at the Rushmore Motel in Sioux Falls when the 32-year-old woman says her ex-boyfriend punched and pulled her hair. On Wednesday, they both where at her house on West 10th Street where she told police he wouldn't let her leave. It was Thursday morning when he was sleeping that she got away and went to the hospital.

Police came to the house around 11:30 a.m. Thursday to talk to the man but that's when he said he would hurt himself. After four hours of negotiations he walked out of the house.

"This is what we hope for is for things to end peacefully and without anyone being hurt," Sam Clemens said.

And that's a relief to the many people watching it unfold.

"I'm thrilled it ended OK, especially after earlier this week," Ostheimer said.

"No one really got hurt, I'm just glad of that," Pennel said.

The man was arrested and is facing a few charges. No names are being released until Friday morning.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KSFY. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service or our EEO Report.