Update: Sioux Falls police identify suspect in Thursday's stando - KSFY News - Sioux Falls, SD News, Weather, Sports

Update: Sioux Falls police identify suspect in Thursday's standoff

Posted: Updated:

Sioux Falls police say an incident stemming from Tuesday night led to a standoff Thursday afternoon.

Michael Williams, 40 of Marty, S.D. was arrested for aggravated assault, simple assault, second degree rape, kidnapping, possession of a controlled substance and possession of marijuana. A meth pipe was also found in Williams' possession.

At Friday's police briefing, Officer Sam Clemens said late Tuesday night into early Wednesday morning Williams, his ex-girlfriend and several other people were together at the Rushmore Hotel in Sioux Falls. Clemens said eventually the suspect kicked everyone out of the hotel except for the ex-girlfriend.

When everyone had left Williams allegedly assaulted his 38-year-old ex-girlfriend by grabbing her, strangling her and dragging her from the inside to the outside.

The victim left and went to a place where she had been staying at the 900-block of West 10th Street, which was an apartment inside the house. Officer Sam Clemens said there was no landline in the apartment and the victim had left her purse—with her cell phone in it-- back at the hotel.

Clemens said Williams went over to the victim's apartment. She said she thought he would be alright there because they would be in different rooms. However, the victim said she was afraid to leave for fear of being harmed.

The victim said she was sexually assaulted Wednesday night and was still fearful to leave. She said on Thursday morning she was able to escape as Williams fell asleep. She went to a friend's place and told the friend what happened.

Officer Sam Clemens said the friend took her to the hospital where staff alerted police.

Sioux Falls police went to the apartment in the 900-block of West 10th Street. Officers said when they arrived the suspect did not match the victim's description, so they left to get more information from the victim.

Officer Clemens said at some point Williams made contact with the victim saying he was going to hurt himself. The officers and detectives at the hospital notified the officer who initially spoke to Williams. Police returned a second time to talk with Williams, who they say refused to communicate.

Police say when Williams refused to communicate they treated him as a barricaded suspect. That move forced them to call a SWAT team and a team of negotiators that were able to talk Williams into surrendering peacefully.

Officer Sam Clemens said the standoff lasted for about an hour.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KSFY. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service or our EEO Report.