Fire officials: Home had smoke detectors with no batteries - KSFY News - Sioux Falls, SD News, Weather, Sports

Fire officials: Home had smoke detectors with no batteries

Posted: Updated:

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue went out to a house fire at 408 W. 22nd St. around 11:30 p.m. Friday.

When they first got to the scene they found smoke and flames in the basement of the home. Crews made an interior fire attack and extinguished the fire in less than 20 minutes.

The home sustained moderate fire damage to the basement and first floor.

People who lived in the home were out before the fire department's arrived on scene.

No one was hurt. 

The home had smoke detectors, but they did not alert residents as the batteries had been removed.

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue responded with four fire trucks and two support vehicles, and 16 firefighters. The cause of the fire is currently under investigation.

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue would like to remind citizens to change smoke detector batteries twice per year, and to test smoke detectors monthly.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KSFY. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service or our EEO Report.