Close to 3,000 runners and walkers filled the streets of downtown Sioux Falls, Sunday morning, for the 5th annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.
While it's the 5th year for the event in South Dakota, it's the first in Sioux Falls.
It was truly a sea of pink with Breast Cancer survivors, families, supporters and friends who just want to find a cure.
Kay Santema cheers on racers passing her by while she also celebrates herself: cancer-free for eight years.
"The atmosphere is one of celebration so it's wonderful to be part of this," Kay Santema said.
She's even committed herself to the cause at Sanford Health because she knows very well how important detection really is.
"I'm an early cancer survivor, a proponent of the annual mammogram. It's very important, I can't stress enough how important it is," Kay Santema said.
Other survivors at Sunday's event know exactly what she means.
"The future is a cure. We need money, awareness, prevention, get out there and get your mammogram. Without it, I wouldn't be here today," survivor Cindy Shuck said.
"Until you have a personal experience, you don't think it's going to happen do you. It's at a distance, and you don't think this will happen do you," Santema said.
While we can't predict the future, or our own health, we can always count on events like these to keep the research alive.
"This is exactly what we wanted, the array of pink and the smiles, it's wonderful. It's everything we wanted it to be," Komen for the Cure SD Director Amanda Anderson said.
75% of the profits raised at Sunday's event will help with research and those affected with the disease in South Dakota. The other 25% will help fund research nationwide.
The events are held all over as the largest 5K series in the world. One of the biggest annual Komen races is in St. Louis, MO, with more than 51,000 participants in 2012 raising upwards of $2.5 million for Breast Cancer research.
Tuesday, December 3 2013 10:48 PM EST2013-12-04 03:48:06 GMT
Canton residents have voted down a proposal to build a new aquatic center. The city required 60% of voters to approve the bond to pass; only 50.9 voted yes. Canton financial officer Kyle Cwach said 412 votedMore >>
Canton residents have voted down a proposal to build a new aquatic center.More >>
Thursday, December 5 2013 2:15 PM EST2013-12-05 19:15:29 GMT
Firefighters continue their search for a child after a house fire in rural Minnesota. Two children were unaccounted for after fire overtook the two-story single family farmhouse near Lucan, Minn. CrewsMore >>
Firefighters continue their search for a child after a house fire in rural Minnesota. The body of a second unaccounted child was found Wednesday evening by Minnesota fire investigators. More >>
Thursday, December 5 2013 1:52 PM EST2013-12-05 18:52:01 GMT
New charges have been filed against the Iowa woman accused of killing a toddler at her home day care, the Sioux City County Attorney said Thursday.Rochelle Sapp, 33, of Orange City, Iowa, was charged withMore >>
New charges have been filed against the Iowa woman accused of killing a toddler at her home day care, the Sioux City County Attorney said Thursday.More >>
Thursday, December 5 2013 12:22 PM EST2013-12-05 17:22:24 GMT
In his budget address, Governor Daugaard says he wants to pay $16.3 million in cash for the State Veterans Home in Hot Springs. The state funds 35 percent of the project and 65 percent is federallyMore >>
In his budget address, Governor Daugaard says he wants to pay $16.3 million in cash for the State Veterans Home in Hot Springs.More >>
Thursday, December 5 2013 9:48 AM EST2013-12-05 14:48:53 GMT
Libyan officials say an American teacher has been shot to death while jogging in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi. Fadyah al-Burghathi, spokeswoman for the Al-Galaa hospital, says the body of a man fromMore >>
Libyan officials say an American teacher has been shot to death while jogging in Libya's eastern city of Benghazi.More >>
Thursday, December 5 2013 9:36 AM EST2013-12-05 14:36:18 GMT
A Minnesota-based heavy equipment repair company is bringing jobs into South Dakota, Gov. Dennis Daugaard said. Donnerite Inc. will expand operations to Howard. Donnerite began operations in 1996, andMore >>
A Minnesota-based heavy equipment repair company is bringing jobs into South Dakota, Gov. Dennis Daugaard said.More >>