SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) - There have been 16 executions in South Dakota or Dakota Territory since 1877. Eric Robert's execution Monday night will mark the 17th execution in South Dakota. Here is a list of the 16 executions from the Cultural Heritage Center:
- Jack McCall was hanged at Yankton March 1, 1877, for shooting Wild Bill Hickok in Deadwood
- Thomas Egan was hanged at Sioux Falls July 13, 1882, for the murder of his wife. Years later, his stepdaughter admitted to committing the crime while on her deathbed.
- Brave Bear was hanged at Yankton Nov. 15, 1882, for the murder of a pioneer settler in Sully County in 1879.
- James Gilmore was hanged at Deadwood Dec. 15, 1882, for the killing of a man on the old Fort Pierre-Deadwood trail.
- James Leehman was hanged on Feb. 19, 1892 for the murder of James H. Burns.
- Nathaniel Thompson was hanged at DeSmet October 1893 for killing his wife's friend.
- Jay Hicks was hanged at Sturgis December 1893 for killing and robbing a Meade County rancher.
- Chief Two Sticks was hanged at Deadwood Dec. 28, 1894, for instigating the slaying of four cowboys.
- Charles Brown was hanged at Deadwood July 14, 1897, for killing and robbing a Deadwood woman.
- Ernest Loveswar was hanged at Sturgis Sept. 19, 1902, for the murder of two homesteaders.
- Allen Walking Shield was hanged Oct. 21, 1902, in Sioux Falls for the murder of a Native American woman named Ghost-Faced Bear.
- George Bear was hanged at Sioux Falls Dec. 5, 1902, for murder.
- Emil Victor was hanged at Aberdeen Nov. 16, 1909, for the murder of three people.
- Joe Rickman was hanged in Perkins County in 1913 for the murder of a woman and her daughter.
- George Sitts was electrocuted at Sioux Falls on April 8, 1947 for the Jan. 24, 1946, murders of state criminal agent Thomas Matthews and Butte County Sheriff Dave Malcolm near Spearfish.
- Elijah Page was executed by lethal injection in Sioux Falls on July 11, 2007, for the murder of Chester Allan Poage.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Tuesday, June 18 2013 6:29 PM EDT2013-06-18 22:29:25 GMT
Under pressure from the U.S. Government, Chrysler group today agreed to recall 2.7 million Jeeps. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had given the automaker until today to comply. CertainMore >>
Certain Jeep models are being recalled because of the risk of fuel leaks and fires in rear-end crashes.More >>
Tuesday, June 18 2013 5:10 PM EDT2013-06-18 21:10:52 GMT
KSFY News is working to contact managers with the Vault Nightclub in Sioux Falls for a comment on the business closing its doors. KSFY News learned from The Vault's Facebook page Tuesday that the nightclubMore >>
KSFY News is working to contact managers with the Vault Nightclub in Sioux Falls for a comment on the business closing its doors.More >>
Tuesday, June 18 2013 4:59 PM EDT2013-06-18 20:59:00 GMT
City of Sioux Falls officials held a news conference Tuesday to announce some new fan enhancements in the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center. The announcement included a comprehensive video display system toMore >>
City of Sioux Falls officials held a news conference Tuesday to announce some new fan enhancements in the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center.More >>
Tuesday, June 18 2013 4:45 PM EDT2013-06-18 20:45:33 GMT
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Interior Department says it is ready to start a program to help Native American tribes buy parcels of reservation land that have accumulated multiple owners. The purchases announcedMore >>
The Interior Department says it is ready to start a program to help Native American tribes buy parcels of reservation land that have accumulated multiple owners.More >>