SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) - There have been 16 executions in South Dakota or Dakota Territory since 1877. Eric Robert's execution Monday night will mark the 17th execution in South Dakota. Here is a list of the 16 executions from the Cultural Heritage Center:
- Jack McCall was hanged at Yankton March 1, 1877, for shooting Wild Bill Hickok in Deadwood
- Thomas Egan was hanged at Sioux Falls July 13, 1882, for the murder of his wife. Years later, his stepdaughter admitted to committing the crime while on her deathbed.
- Brave Bear was hanged at Yankton Nov. 15, 1882, for the murder of a pioneer settler in Sully County in 1879.
- James Gilmore was hanged at Deadwood Dec. 15, 1882, for the killing of a man on the old Fort Pierre-Deadwood trail.
- James Leehman was hanged on Feb. 19, 1892 for the murder of James H. Burns.
- Nathaniel Thompson was hanged at DeSmet October 1893 for killing his wife's friend.
- Jay Hicks was hanged at Sturgis December 1893 for killing and robbing a Meade County rancher.
- Chief Two Sticks was hanged at Deadwood Dec. 28, 1894, for instigating the slaying of four cowboys.
- Charles Brown was hanged at Deadwood July 14, 1897, for killing and robbing a Deadwood woman.
- Ernest Loveswar was hanged at Sturgis Sept. 19, 1902, for the murder of two homesteaders.
- Allen Walking Shield was hanged Oct. 21, 1902, in Sioux Falls for the murder of a Native American woman named Ghost-Faced Bear.
- George Bear was hanged at Sioux Falls Dec. 5, 1902, for murder.
- Emil Victor was hanged at Aberdeen Nov. 16, 1909, for the murder of three people.
- Joe Rickman was hanged in Perkins County in 1913 for the murder of a woman and her daughter.
- George Sitts was electrocuted at Sioux Falls on April 8, 1947 for the Jan. 24, 1946, murders of state criminal agent Thomas Matthews and Butte County Sheriff Dave Malcolm near Spearfish.
- Elijah Page was executed by lethal injection in Sioux Falls on July 11, 2007, for the murder of Chester Allan Poage.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Tuesday, December 3 2013 10:48 PM EST2013-12-04 03:48:06 GMT
Canton residents have voted down a proposal to build a new aquatic center. The city required 60% of voters to approve the bond to pass; only 50.9 voted yes. Canton financial officer Kyle Cwach said 412 votedMore >>
Canton residents have voted down a proposal to build a new aquatic center.More >>
Saturday, December 7 2013 5:30 PM EST2013-12-07 22:30:09 GMT
It's a $10.5 million proposed bond but it's not coming without opposition. Tuesday, residents who live in the Tea Area School District will be heading to the polls to vote on a bond referendum. IncludedMore >>
The new school would be in the backyard of the Westwood Valley subdivision, a growing area in the Tea Area School District and on the western edge of Sioux Falls. This has the neighborhood divided.More >>
Saturday, December 7 2013 3:57 PM EST2013-12-07 20:57:53 GMT
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) - The bitter cold snap across South Dakota has canceled events and increased calls for furnace repairs, but hopes that it might chase away the state's most unwelcome visitors areMore >>
The bitter cold snap across South Dakota has canceled events and increased calls for furnace repairs, but hopes that it might chase away the state's most unwelcome visitors are futile at best.More >>
Saturday, December 7 2013 3:55 PM EST2013-12-07 20:55:34 GMT
WASHINGTON (AP) - South Dakota's congressional delegation is pressing House and Senate negotiators to keep a provision in a massive water projects bill that prevents the Army Corps of Engineers from chargingMore >>
South Dakota's congressional delegation is pressing House and Senate negotiators to keep a provision in a massive water projects bill that prevents the Army Corps of Engineers from charging some residents for use of water.More >>
Saturday, December 7 2013 3:48 PM EST2013-12-07 20:48:54 GMT
The Sioux Falls Police Department is asking for the public's assistance in locating a missing person that is memory impaired. The missing person is Leroy Harold ‘Bud' Anderson. He is a white male, 75More >>
Missing person Leroy Harold ‘Bud' Anderson has been found safe, Saturday. More >>
Friday, December 6 2013 11:29 PM EST2013-12-07 04:29:51 GMT
With the Salvation Army Warming Center's doors not open yet, the Sioux Falls Police Officers have seen an increase of homeless people out on the streets in the below zero temperatures. KSFY's Tess HedrickMore >>
With the Salvation Army Warming Center's doors not open yet, the Sioux Falls Police Officers have seen an increase of homeless people out on the streets in the below zero temperatures. KSFY's Tess Hedrick took rode along with a Sioux Falls Police Officer Friday evening.More >>
Friday, December 6 2013 11:19 PM EST2013-12-07 04:19:35 GMT
HURON, S.D. (AP) - Governor Dennis Daugaard has announced the formation of a task force to find a balance between modern agricultural practices and wildlife-oriented land conservation. Daugaard madeMore >>
He's concerned about the declining pheasant population and its statewide impact.More >>
Friday, December 6 2013 11:00 PM EST2013-12-07 04:00:52 GMT
LUCAN, Minn. (AP) - The names of the two children killed in a farmhouse fire in southwestern Minnesota this week have been released. The family identifies the victims as 7-year-old Hazel and 4-year-oldMore >>
The two were unaccounted for after the fire Wednesday. One of the children's bodies was found Wednesday, the other a day later.More >>