SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) - There have been 16 executions in South Dakota or Dakota Territory since 1877. Eric Robert's execution Monday night will mark the 17th execution in South Dakota. Here is a list of the 16 executions from the Cultural Heritage Center:
- Jack McCall was hanged at Yankton March 1, 1877, for shooting Wild Bill Hickok in Deadwood
- Thomas Egan was hanged at Sioux Falls July 13, 1882, for the murder of his wife. Years later, his stepdaughter admitted to committing the crime while on her deathbed.
- Brave Bear was hanged at Yankton Nov. 15, 1882, for the murder of a pioneer settler in Sully County in 1879.
- James Gilmore was hanged at Deadwood Dec. 15, 1882, for the killing of a man on the old Fort Pierre-Deadwood trail.
- James Leehman was hanged on Feb. 19, 1892 for the murder of James H. Burns.
- Nathaniel Thompson was hanged at DeSmet October 1893 for killing his wife's friend.
- Jay Hicks was hanged at Sturgis December 1893 for killing and robbing a Meade County rancher.
- Chief Two Sticks was hanged at Deadwood Dec. 28, 1894, for instigating the slaying of four cowboys.
- Charles Brown was hanged at Deadwood July 14, 1897, for killing and robbing a Deadwood woman.
- Ernest Loveswar was hanged at Sturgis Sept. 19, 1902, for the murder of two homesteaders.
- Allen Walking Shield was hanged Oct. 21, 1902, in Sioux Falls for the murder of a Native American woman named Ghost-Faced Bear.
- George Bear was hanged at Sioux Falls Dec. 5, 1902, for murder.
- Emil Victor was hanged at Aberdeen Nov. 16, 1909, for the murder of three people.
- Joe Rickman was hanged in Perkins County in 1913 for the murder of a woman and her daughter.
- George Sitts was electrocuted at Sioux Falls on April 8, 1947 for the Jan. 24, 1946, murders of state criminal agent Thomas Matthews and Butte County Sheriff Dave Malcolm near Spearfish.
- Elijah Page was executed by lethal injection in Sioux Falls on July 11, 2007, for the murder of Chester Allan Poage.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Thursday, February 20 2014 7:42 PM EST2014-02-21 00:42:09 GMT
Behind the glory of football there are the scars and bruises. Some visible, some not. We still have much to learn about the health risk football puts on it's players, but some of the biggest strides inMore >>
Behind the glory of football there are the scars and bruises, some visible, some not. We still have much to learn about the health risk football puts on it's players, but some of the biggest strides in research are happening on South Dakota's fields.More >>
Friday, March 7 2014 7:46 PM EST2014-03-08 00:46:13 GMT
The Aberdeen Regional Airport is going to try and add a little excitement to its walls. The airport has hired Aberdeen artists Nick and Nicole Fischer to paint a mural to place on the wall in the airport'sMore >>
The Aberdeen Regional Airport is going to try and add a little excitement to its walls. The airport has hired Aberdeen artists Nick and Nicole Fischer to paint a mural to place on the wall in the airport's center waiting room. The mural will depict Aberdeen's history.More >>
Friday, March 7 2014 7:22 PM EST2014-03-08 00:22:40 GMT
A Yankton man was found dead in a mobile home, Friday morning and Police are calling it a homicide. It happened on the 1100 block of E. 8th Street near Peninah Street. That's on the southeast part ofMore >>
Yankton Police investigate an apparent homicide, Friday. Suspect in custody is the nephew of the deceased victim. More >>
Friday, March 7 2014 4:19 PM EST2014-03-07 21:19:12 GMT
Cattle ranchers and law enforcement in the American West are fighting a tough new battle to protect the herds -- keeping meth addicts from stealing their cows and selling them to finance their drug habit. CattleMore >>
Cattle ranchers and law enforcement in the American West are fighting a tough new battle to protect the herds -- keeping meth addicts from stealing their cows and selling them to finance their drug habit.More >>
Friday, March 7 2014 2:08 PM EST2014-03-07 19:08:50 GMT
Yankton Police are searching for a homicide suspect.The suspect is Joshua Charles Hudson, 28. He's believed to be driving a green 2002 Dodge Ram half ton truck with a red topper. The plates are South DakotaMore >>
A young man is accused of killing his uncle in Yankton early this morning.More >>
Friday, March 7 2014 11:45 AM EST2014-03-07 16:45:28 GMT
A toddler has died as a result of a two-vehicle fatal crash on Feb. 24, the South Dakota Highway Patrol said today.A one and one-half year old child, Adryan Jones, died late Wednesday, in a Sioux FallsMore >>
A toddler has died as a result of a two-vehicle fatal crash on Feb. 24, the South Dakota Highway Patrol said today.More >>