Holiday season brings greater need for Volunteers - KSFY News - Sioux Falls, SD News, Weather, Sports

Holiday season brings greater need for Volunteers

Posted: Updated:

In addition to all the work surrounding Super Storm Sandy, the holidays are right around the corner, creating a lot of hands-on work for charity groups in the community.  

Some of that work includes handing out Thanksgiving meals or getting child gift boxes ready to send out to kids who could use some holiday cheer—all of which takes some helping hands. 

The Salvation Army is boxing up gifts to send to the children of inmates in Sioux Falls.  But it takes a lot of hands to get the package from the store to under that child's Christmas tree. 

"For this package to be delivered, actually involved 10 different people.....for the people who purchased it, for the people who wrapped it, for the people who packaged it and now the people who are going to deliver it," said Salvation Army Major Thomas E. Riggs. 

If you're not a hands a person, organizations like United Way also use volunteer to help raise funds for area charities.  

"Approximately 1% of the people that work to help raise that money is paid staff, the other 99% is volunteers," said United Way Volunteer Campaign Chair Dave Long. 

With all non-profit organizations in Sioux Falls and across the country, volunteer are essential for providing the services non-profits offer. 

"We have more than 200 volunteers here at the Red Cross…if we had to pay all 200 volunteers, there's no way we could afford it," said Sioux Empire Red Cross Director Nancy Hanneman. 

One way to get involved right away this Holiday season is the Salvation Army's Christmas Kettles.  They will be going up outside shopping centers starting Friday and the Salvation Army is still looking for jingle volunteers to go with the kettles.  

If you would like to volunteer with the Christmas kettles, stop by the Salvation Army Center on 800 N. Cliff Avenue to fill out a volunteer form; they will work out a time and place for you to serve.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KSFY. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service or our EEO Report.