Garretson homeowner: "What happened was a miracle" - KSFY News - Sioux Falls, SD News, Weather, Sports

Garretson homeowner: "What happened was a miracle"

Posted: Updated:

"There's a million different ways this could have been a horrible tragedy and one way it would have turned out the way it did. It was just amazing.

One Garretson man, and his son, are lucky to be alive Monday night, after a fire burned their entire home to the ground.

Minnehaha County authorities got the call just before 7:00 a.m., Monday, on 257th Street about four miles south of Garretson.

Nobody was hurt. For that reason, the homeowner calls it a complete miracle.

"I've never seen anything like that, it was surreal," Clint Wood said.

It's just one of the ways homeowner Clint Wood described the scene while he also recalls the moments just before.

"Got up to go out, see what's going on. Saw a man I'd never seen before, standing next to the door saying 'fire!' and I looked at this flame calmly burning in my house. My brain just shut off. I didn't know what to think," Wood said.

Wood didn't have time to thin because, he says, a neighbor down the street, a man he'd never met, yelled to get everyone out of the house which ultimately saved them just in time. 

"I saw flames coming out of the bedroom windows above where I was sleeping. Those were the last moments of my life. Unless that guy woke me up, I wouldn't be here," Wood said.

Flames brought the home to the ground in just minutes, something Minnehaha County authorities have seen around this time of year.

"This is a terrible time of year for fires. you know with the holidays just around the corner, this is a young family with younger children so it really will be tough on them for that reason," Emergency Manager Lynn Deyoung said.

Even with the holidays nearly here, Wood says that doesn't matter. What does is that he and his son are OK. He only has one word to describe it.

"What happened was a miracle. My life and my son's life was spared for reasons I'll never understand in ways that just don't happen. I'm very grateful, been gifts for reasons I'll never understand but will say thank you everyday for the rest of my life," he said.

With freezing temperatures, area fire crews had a hard time battling the fire. Emergency Management was on the scene along with the Red Cross. The cause of the fire is believed to be electrical but is still under investigation.

A fund has been set up by friends and family of Clint Wood. Click on the link below for more:

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KSFY. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service or our EEO Report.