Friday was day two of the Cure Kids Cancer Radiothon - a fundraiser to help families like the Jansma's pay for all the extra expenses associated with childhood illness.
Their son Elijah was diagnosed with a brain tumor at seven months old. And then six years later, the cancer came back.
The Jansma family lives in Sibley, Iowa - an hour from Sioux Falls, which means little things like gas to get Elijah to his appointments really adds up.
But the good news is anyone can help.
"Every little bit helps. You may not think you can donate a lot, but even $5.00. You probably got a coffee on your way to work this morning. Skip coffee one day or make coffee at home. Any little bit toward this helps," said Chad Jansma, Elijah's dad.
100% of the event's proceeds goes to help local families. You can still donate by clicking on the link provided.
Thursday, February 20 2014 7:42 PM EST2014-02-21 00:42:09 GMT
Behind the glory of football there are the scars and bruises. Some visible, some not. We still have much to learn about the health risk football puts on it's players, but some of the biggest strides inMore >>
Behind the glory of football there are the scars and bruises, some visible, some not. We still have much to learn about the health risk football puts on it's players, but some of the biggest strides in research are happening on South Dakota's fields.More >>
Monday, March 10 2014 9:49 PM EDT2014-03-11 01:49:28 GMT
A group of Sioux Falls community members and business leaders wants you to vote "No" to an outdoor pool, because they want a public indoor pool instead. Community Swim 365 held an open house Monday, givingMore >>
A group of Sioux Falls community members and business leaders wants you to vote "No" to an outdoor pool, because they want a public indoor pool instead.More >>
Monday, March 10 2014 9:25 PM EDT2014-03-11 01:25:50 GMT
FERGUS FALLS, Minn. (AP) - Fire crews spent hours battling flames at an ethanol plant just outside Fergus Falls. Fergus Falls Fire Chief Mark Hovland got a call about a fire at the Green Plains RenewableMore >>
Company spokesman Jim Stark says the fire was in a dryer system, which is in a separate building at the plant.More >>
Monday, March 10 2014 7:38 PM EDT2014-03-10 23:38:25 GMT
PIERRE, S.D. (AP) - The South Dakota House has passed a bill to regulate e-cigarettes. Representatives voted 60-10 in support of the measure. E-cigarettes are battery-powered devices that resembleMore >>
One opponent of the measure says nicotine is similar to caffeine and the bill is a governmental overreach.More >>
Monday, March 10 2014 7:36 PM EDT2014-03-10 23:36:38 GMT
PIERRE, S.D. (AP) - The South Dakota Senate has approved a statewide ban on texting while driving after approving changes that some senators say will never be accepted by the House of Representatives.More >>
The measure now returns to the House for consideration of the changes made by the House, but some senators say the measure may die because the House will never accept the changes approved by the Senate.More >>