Boston brothers reunited after marathon bombing - KSFY News - Sioux Falls, SD News, Weather, Sports

Boston brothers reunited after marathon bombing

Posted: Updated:

This isn't just nay trip down the block for Paul Norden. On the way to see his older brother JP, it's like any other day of their lives now forever changed and no matter lost limbs nor IV poles and wheel chairs can rend their bond unbroken.

JP and Paul Norden are the archetype of what it is to be brothers, and so much more. Best friends, neighbors and working together as roofers since high school, they're used to seeing each other every day.

On April 15, together, they went to cheer on a friend at the Boston Marathon.

"Initially, I didn't know what happened. I just remembered a lot of pain and looking down, and the next thing was I was looking for him," JP told Good Morning America's Josh Elliott.

"I wanted to know what happened with by brother and my girlfriend," Paul said. "It just kept running through my mind, ‘what's going on with them? What's going on with them?' I knew I lost my leg, but I didn't know if they were all right or not."

In the chaos, the brothers would be rushed to different hospitals. JP was sent to Bringham and Women's Hospital. Paul and Beth were sent to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, not knowing whether the other had survived.

"A guy just kept wiping my face and just telling me that, you know, ‘Everything's going to be okay.' I just said to myself, ‘I don't want to—I don't want to shut my eyes.' I just felt like if I shut my eyes and let myself go that was it," JP said.

Across town, their mother Liz was at home making the boys' favorite supper when she got a phone call.

"My son called me at 3:00 on my cell phone," Liz told GMA's Josh Elliott the morning after the bombing. "He was hurt really bad."

Nearly a month later, those emotions remain raw.

"I see them, what they're going through, it's just heartbreaking," Liz said.

But this day isn't about heartbreak, it's about hope, because as Boston was recovering so, too, were they.

"When I saw him, I just let it all out. It was amazing. I didn't see him for 14 days; I see him every day of my life, six times a day," JP said.

Brothers who refused to be victims are living examples of their city's new mantra, "Boston Strong", and teaching us all what that means.

"I just think they're cowards," JP said about the Boston bombing suspect. "That's-- I mean, I don't know--I don't know anyone that would just do that to people, I really don't. I know there are bad people in the world, but I also learned that there are a lot of good people in the world."

Red Door Church holds large Easter Egg Hunt, Saturday

Red Door Church holds large Easter Egg Hunt, Saturday

Saturday, April 19 2014 11:10 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:10:32 GMT
    Easter weekend is here and thousands in Sioux Falls were up early Saturday morning to celebrate it. More >>

O'Gorman H.S. students to perform "Shrek, the Musical"

O'Gorman H.S. students to perform "Shrek, the Musical"

Saturday, April 19 2014 11:05 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:05:11 GMT
    "Shrek" The Musical is coming to Sioux Falls by way of students at O'Gorman High School.More >>

Drivers frustrated with road construction

Drivers frustrated with road construction

Saturday, April 19 2014 9:20 PM EDT2014-04-20 01:20:42 GMT
    Road construction is in full swing in Sioux Falls. Another round of improvements are underway along Russell Street.More >>

After long wait, ranchers find relief from USDA

After long wait, ranchers find relief from USDA

Saturday, April 19 2014 4:32 PM EDT2014-04-19 20:32:04 GMT
    After a devastating blizzard killed thousands of cattle in October, South Dakota lawmaker and rancher Gary Cammack wondered whether his state's ranching community could recover.More >>

Sioux Falls Storm tackles child abuse, Saturday night

Sioux Falls Storm tackles child abuse, Saturday night

Saturday, April 19 2014 3:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:57:19 GMT
    April is National Child Abuse Prevention month and in honor of it, the Sioux Falls Storm plans to spread awareness at Saturday night's game against the Wyoming Calvary.The Storm is partnering with Children's Inn, Waterbury Heating and Cooling, Coleman and Fluxxr to raise awareness about Child Abuse.The event will seek to fulfill three main goals: to raise awareness, to encourage strong families in the Sioux Empire and to raise money for the Children's Inn.Children's Inn offers shelter, crisis...More >>

Vikings to add another $1.2M to stadium project

Vikings to add another $1.2M to stadium project

Saturday, April 19 2014 3:41 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:41:21 GMT
    MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The Minnesota Vikings are contributing another $1.2 million to the new stadium to put in a bigger video board on the facility's west end and for other video-related upgrades.The funding was approved Friday by the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority. It brings the total cost of the project from $975 million to $976.2 million.The team had initially agreed to contribute $477 million to the project. In November, the Vikings agreed to put up $26.4 million in contingency funds....More >>

SD lottery offers losing tickets a second chance

SD lottery offers losing tickets a second chance

Saturday, April 19 2014 2:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:57:20 GMT
    PIERRE, S.D. (AP) - The South Dakota Lottery has announced a second chance game for players with losing scratch-off tickets.The program, called Play it Again, will launch next Wednesday. Members of the Lottery Players Club can enter non-winning tickets in an online drawing.Lottery executive director Norm Lingle says other states have similar games and gamers have asked for it in South Dakota. Lingle says second chance opportunities extend the length and value of games.The first game in the pr...More >>

Railroad group says $1 million pledged locally

Railroad group says $1 million pledged locally

Saturday, April 19 2014 2:53 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:53:21 GMT
    PIERRE, S.D. (AP) - A South Dakota organization that helps raise money for railroad rehabilitation says more than $1 million has been committed locally to help match a federal grant for which the state is applying.Rails to the Future says the state is seeking $12.6 million in a Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grant. The state wants to rehab the state-owned railroad from Chamberlain to Presho.The entire project is estimated to cost $29 million. Earlier this month...More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KSFY. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service or our EEO Report.