Boston brothers reunited after marathon bombing - KSFY News - Sioux Falls, SD News, Weather, Sports

Boston brothers reunited after marathon bombing

Posted: Updated:

This isn't just nay trip down the block for Paul Norden. On the way to see his older brother JP, it's like any other day of their lives now forever changed and no matter lost limbs nor IV poles and wheel chairs can rend their bond unbroken.

JP and Paul Norden are the archetype of what it is to be brothers, and so much more. Best friends, neighbors and working together as roofers since high school, they're used to seeing each other every day.

On April 15, together, they went to cheer on a friend at the Boston Marathon.

"Initially, I didn't know what happened. I just remembered a lot of pain and looking down, and the next thing was I was looking for him," JP told Good Morning America's Josh Elliott.

"I wanted to know what happened with by brother and my girlfriend," Paul said. "It just kept running through my mind, ‘what's going on with them? What's going on with them?' I knew I lost my leg, but I didn't know if they were all right or not."

In the chaos, the brothers would be rushed to different hospitals. JP was sent to Bringham and Women's Hospital. Paul and Beth were sent to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, not knowing whether the other had survived.

"A guy just kept wiping my face and just telling me that, you know, ‘Everything's going to be okay.' I just said to myself, ‘I don't want to—I don't want to shut my eyes.' I just felt like if I shut my eyes and let myself go that was it," JP said.

Across town, their mother Liz was at home making the boys' favorite supper when she got a phone call.

"My son called me at 3:00 on my cell phone," Liz told GMA's Josh Elliott the morning after the bombing. "He was hurt really bad."

Nearly a month later, those emotions remain raw.

"I see them, what they're going through, it's just heartbreaking," Liz said.

But this day isn't about heartbreak, it's about hope, because as Boston was recovering so, too, were they.

"When I saw him, I just let it all out. It was amazing. I didn't see him for 14 days; I see him every day of my life, six times a day," JP said.

Brothers who refused to be victims are living examples of their city's new mantra, "Boston Strong", and teaching us all what that means.

"I just think they're cowards," JP said about the Boston bombing suspect. "That's-- I mean, I don't know--I don't know anyone that would just do that to people, I really don't. I know there are bad people in the world, but I also learned that there are a lot of good people in the world."

Iowa man charged with murder of elderly mother

Thursday, July 31 2014 3:29 PM EDT2014-07-31 19:29:59 GMT
    The Plymouth County Sheriff's Office issued an arrest warrant for 44-year-old Jonathon Neunaber on Thursday charging him with 1st Degree Murder in connection to the deaths of mother, Esther Grace Neunaber earlier this month.More >>

Rapid City School Board imposing teacher contract

Thursday, July 31 2014 11:54 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:54:45 GMT
    The Rapid City School Board is imposing its final contract offer to teachers after months of negotiations failed to produce an agreement.More >>

Suspect in officer's killing has extensive record

Thursday, July 31 2014 11:45 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:45:50 GMT
    Brian Fitch, wanted in shooting of Mendota Heights police officer.Brian Fitch, wanted in shooting of Mendota Heights police officer.
    The suspect in the killing of a Mendota Heights police officer has an extensive criminal record.More >>

South Dakota man sentenced for scissor attack in North Dakota

Thursday, July 31 2014 11:37 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:37:23 GMT
    A South Dakota man has been sentenced to six years in prison for attacking a female store clerk with a pair of scissors in the southeastern North Dakota city of Wahpeton.More >>

First plea agreements signed in lottery scam case

Thursday, July 31 2014 6:45 AM EDT2014-07-31 10:45:07 GMT
    Three people have agreed to plead guilty in a Jamaican Lottery Scam targeting elderly victims in the Dakotas and elsewhere.More >>
    More >>

Orchestra plans statehood performance in Capitol

Thursday, July 31 2014 6:31 AM EDT2014-07-31 10:31:06 GMT
    Classical music lovers can mark South Dakota's 125th anniversary of statehood and see what the state says will be the first full orchestra performance in the Capitol with more than 50 members.More >>
    More >>

Runners ready to fight off zombies

Thursday, July 31 2014 5:03 AM EDT2014-07-31 09:03:17 GMT
    It's a 4 kilometer run with over 40 obstacles along the way. If that's not enough, runners will be fighting off zombies too. Things like climbing walls, mud pits and a corn maze full of zombies will all be found on the course for the Z Warrior Run Saturday.More >>

Sioux Falls home vandalized

Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:30 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:30:34 GMT
    Gang graffiti has been in Sioux Falls for years. Police determined some tags from 2012 were gang related. Former City Councilor Vernon Brown's house has been hit twice in that many years.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KSFY. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service or our EEO Report.