12-year-old Iowa kidnapping victim shares her story of escape - KSFY News - Sioux Falls, SD News, Weather, Sports

12-year-old Iowa kidnapping victim shares her story of escape

Posted: Updated:

A young kidnapping survivor in Iowa is speaking out about her horrifying experience.

Last month, 12-year-old Dezi Hughes got away from a man police say killed her friend - 15 year-old Kathlynn Shepard.

"Just went to walk home and (he) asked us if we wanted to mow lawns to make money, told him we had to go ask our parents and then he said he'd give us a ride and then he didn't take us home. He told us we could call and then it just went on from there." It was May 20th-- Dezi and her friend Kathlynn Shepard were trapped inside this red pick up truck, driven by registered sex offender Michael Klunder. He was taking them to a hog confinement where he worked. "I don't know... I just kept thinking this wasn't right." Klunder got Kathlynn out of his truck and Dezi-- just 12 years old-- took a chance and made her escape. "I had to run though a lot of woods and cross fields and run through more. I couldn't really see any buildings." She made it to the nearest farmhouse, but wasn't certain she was safe. "I actually was kind of afraid because I thought he would be like near his house. So, I thought it was going to be his relatives or something, so I really didn't know what to do. But I had to take a chance and find out."

The gutsy move paid off... a stranger took her in. Jeanette Andrews is Dezi's mother. "I actually thought when she called me, I thought that I had misunderstood her. I thought I was over-reacting for no reason. And, when I got there, I realized she was serious, and that was about when it hit me -- when I seen her when I first got there."
(Reporter): "How often do you think about that?"
"Every day... it's the only thing on my mind."

Thoughts of that day fill nearly every moment and haunt her at night. "I don't sleep until like three in the morning. I can't sleep. When I do sleep, it's pretty crappy."

Dezi and her family are already seeking counseling, but know that life will never be the same. (Reporter): "It must be so hard to try and return to a normal life and actually let her be out of your sight for a while." "So far, that hasn't happened-- really. She has to be with a boy, because obviously going somewhere with a girl didn't work."
"I try to forget that, but can't. It's gonna scar you for life, what can you do about it?"

Michael Klunder was found dead. Police believe he took his own life hours after Dezi escaped.

Every day, Dezi wears a necklace with a "K" pendant to remember the friend she lost - and her own close call.

Sioux Falls busiest street is a surprise to many

Wednesday, August 20 2014 7:56 PM EDT2014-08-20 23:56:55 GMT
    If you've driven in Sioux Falls, you probably know how busy traffic can be at times. But do you know which Sioux Falls street is the busiest? The answer surprised most people KSFY News spoke with Wednesday.More >>
    More >>

Hunger report released for Feeding South Dakota

Wednesday, August 20 2014 7:25 PM EDT2014-08-20 23:25:03 GMT
    Hunger affects more people than you think. The group Hunger in America conducts the most comprehensive examination of hunger in the U.S. every four years. Their 2014 report, released on Wednesday, details how many South Dakotans are food insecure. Hunger affects more people than you think. The group Hunger in America conducts the most comprehensive examination of hunger in the U.S. every four years. Their 2014 report, released on Wednesday, details how many South Dakotans are food insecure.
    Hunger affects more people than you think. The group Hunger in America conducts the most comprehensive examination of hunger in the U.S. every four years. Their 2014 report, released on Wednesday, details how many South Dakotans are food insecure. More >>

South Dakota groups form alliance against pipeline

Wednesday, August 20 2014 5:39 PM EDT2014-08-20 21:39:43 GMT
    Several South Dakota groups opposed to the proposed Keystone XL pipeline have combined forces.More >>

World 'appalled' by James Foley beheading, Obama says

Wednesday, August 20 2014 4:53 PM EDT2014-08-20 20:53:59 GMT
    "The entire world is appalled" by ISIS's slaughter of American journalist James Foley, a visibly angry President Obama said Wednesday.More >>

South Dakota man sentenced over worker lead poisoning

Wednesday, August 20 2014 4:37 PM EDT2014-08-20 20:37:18 GMT
    A South Dakota man has been fined $3,000 and ordered to attend a class on worker safety standards after five workers he was supervising inhaled lead while working in Idaho.More >>
    More >>

All-session Summit League passes on sale

Wednesday, August 20 2014 4:09 PM EDT2014-08-20 20:09:50 GMT
    All-session passes for the 2015 Summit League Basketball Championships in Sioux Falls, South Dakota went on sale Wednesday morning through the Phase 1 presale.More >>
    More >>

Uranium mining company must release survey data

Wednesday, August 20 2014 3:57 PM EDT2014-08-20 19:57:22 GMT
    A licensing board of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has ruled that a mining company must release the results of a geological survey to opponents of its proposed uranium mine in western South Dakota.More >>

Man, daughter accused of locking man in grain bin

Wednesday, August 20 2014 2:22 PM EDT2014-08-20 18:22:56 GMT
    A South Dakota man and his daughter from California face kidnapping charges after allegedly locking the woman's husband in a grain bin in Iowa following a domestic disputeMore >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KSFY. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service or our EEO Report.