Sioux Falls man arrested for assault with metal pipe; Victim in - KSFY News - Sioux Falls, SD News, Weather, Sports

Sioux Falls man arrested for assault with metal pipe; Victim in critical condition

Posted: Updated:

Sioux Falls police have arrested a man who assaulted another man with a metal pipe Thursday morning. According to court documents, the suspect said, "I was hoping I didn't kill the guy." 

On Thursday morning, police arrested Nicholas Longcrow, 32, of Sioux Falls on four counts of assault. He's accused of beating Shukri Jara, 25, with a foot-long metal pipe after a dispute over money. The incident happened at 12th Street and Prairie Avenue in Sioux Falls. 

According to the Affidavit for Arrest, Longcrow and another woman had marijuana that belonged to Jara, who was upset and wanted money for it. Longcrow told investigators that Jara started threatening Longcrow and the woman that he would "cut them up." 

Longrcrow told investigators he was intoxicated and upset with Jara. He said when he went for a walk he told two woman he was going to get his bat. He couldn't find a bat so he picked up a metal pipe instead and walked back to the area, according to the arrest warrant.

According to court papers, Longcrow said he struck the victim with the pipe three to four times and then Jara went down. Longcrow said he then kicked the victim one time in the face. Investigators noted they saw blood on Longcrow's shoe.

Longcrow left the scene and told police he ditched the pipe in a yard by Summit Oaks. He said he also wiped the pipe on his shirt before heading to his mother's house to change his clothes.

"I was hoping I didn't kill the guy," Longcrow told investigators, according to the arrest warrant. 

Two women could confirm seeing Longcrow with a metal pipe, according to court papers. One of them said she actually saw Longcrow hit Jara. She told police she saw blood "spurting" from his head and she and a friend called 911 at around 1:41 a.m.

Jara suffered serious head trauma including a fractured skull. He also had various abrasions on his body. According to court papers, he remained unconscious and was admitted to the ICU at a Sioux Falls hospital for life threatening injuries. 


Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KSFY. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service or our EEO Report.