Vet: Bald eagle likely died from lead poisoning - KSFY News - Sioux Falls, SD News, Weather, Sports

Vet: Bald eagle likely died from lead poisoning

Posted: Updated:

HILL CITY -- A veterinarian says a bald eagle found in the Black Hills likely died from lead poisoning.
    
Hikers found the bird Sunday near the Mickelson Trail south of Hill City.
    
The Rapid City Journal reports Game Fish & Parks workers took it to a vet hospital in Pierre where it died Tuesday.
    
GFP regional supervisor Mike Kintigh says eagles ingest lead from ammunition that has been left in animals or gut piles.
    


___
    
Information from: Rapid City Journal, http://www.rapidcityjournal.com

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KSFY. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service or our EEO Report.