Holiday Fire Safety Reminders from Sioux Falls Fire & Rescue - KSFY News - Sioux Falls, SD News, Weather, Sports

Holiday Fire Safety Reminders from Sioux Falls Fire & Rescue

Posted: Updated:

Sioux Falls, South Dakota: Sioux Falls Fire Rescue would like to provide some friendly reminders and facts about holiday fire safety.

The holiday season can pose some fire-safety-related concerns. According to the U.S. Fire Administration:

• One of every three home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems.

• Although Christmas tree fires are not common, when they do occur, they are more likely to be serious.

• A heat source too close to the tree causes roughly one in every six Christmas tree fires.

• More than half (56 percent) of home candle fires occur when something that can catch on fire is too close to the candle.

• December is the peak time of year for home candle fires.

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue reminds you to practice safe use of holiday lights and check to make sure they are not frayed or damaged before use. Use battery-operated candles whenever possible, but if you use real candles, never leave them unattended and keep them clear of combustibles.

And remember, any time of year is the right time to ensure your smoke detectors are working.

The National Fire Protection Association puts out Holiday Safety Reminders and Christmas Tree Safety reminders every year.

 

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KSFY. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service or our EEO Report.