Criminal justice reform brings opportunity for early probation - KSFY News - Sioux Falls, SD News, Weather, Sports

Criminal justice reform brings opportunity for early probation release

Posted: Updated:

South Dakota now rewards people out on probation for their good behavior.

It's part of an effort to reduce the state's growing prison population.

KSFY News spoke with one woman who credits her probation with getting her life back on track.

Mallory Flanigan's job serves as a constant reminder that just a few years ago, her life was very different.

"I was looking at four years of prison time and part of my punishment was doing county time, I did it in work release, and then I did two years intense probation as a way to stay out of prison," Flanigan said.

And now, Mallory raises money for tall grass recovery center," Flanigan said.

"I've never gone to prison but from what people tell me is it's a lot harder to transition out, when you've gone and served time in prison," Flanigan said.

As part of South Dakota's criminal justice reform, people can earn a month off their probation for every 30 days of good behavior.

Minnehaha County chief court service officer Chad Clark said "I believe it will allow us to focus on the individuals who are higher risk and giving us more time to help them make the changes they need to be successful."

But for Mallory, staying out of prison while on probation didn't mean she was completely free to come and go as she pleased.

"I had to basically give my probation officer an itinerary of basically exactly where I was going to be for a week at a time, and I had to follow through on that," Flanigan said.

"Most of the time, when I meet with my clients initially, I tell them my goal is to get them to a point where I'll never have to see them again," Clark said.

Which is why Mallory credits probation with changing her life.

"It helped me be accountable, it helped me follow through on things and helped me be honest and those were things  I wasn't capable of doing," Flanigan said.

Criminal justice reform for people on parole went into affect last July.

The numbers are still coming in but so far, for the first five months of the program, there's been a drop of more than two hundred parolees.

Owning Your Outdoors: Tree Care

Friday, July 25 2014 9:36 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:36:12 GMT
    Doug says that the natural crown line of a tree should be easy to identify.Doug says that the natural crown line of a tree should be easy to identify.
    There are a number of reasons to prune and crown trees. Trees can grow to close to buildings, power lines or sidewalks and become a hazard. Trees can also be crowned and pruned to make them cosmetically more appealing.More >>

Flooded Luverne farmer gets second chance

Wednesday, July 30 2014 5:01 PM EDT2014-07-30 21:01:48 GMT
    The flooding in Luverne over Father's Day weekend left a lot of homes and parks flooded.  It also flooded a lot of farmland. Just a couple days after the heavy rain, KSFY spoke to an area farmer who lost most of his crops. We check back in with one farmerThe flooding in Luverne over Father's Day weekend left a lot of homes and parks flooded. It also flooded a lot of farmland. Just a couple days after the heavy rain, KSFY spoke to an area farmer who lost most of his crops. We check back in with one farmer
    The flooding in Luverne over Father's Day weekend left a lot of homes and parks flooded.  It also flooded a lot of farmland. Just a couple days after the heavy rain, KSFY spoke to an area farmer who lost most of his crops. We check back in with one farmer.More >>

Mendota Heights officer killed in West St. Paul shooting

Wednesday, July 30 2014 3:34 PM EDT2014-07-30 19:34:05 GMT
    KSTP News confirms a Mendota Heights police officer was shot and killed during a traffic stop on Dodd Road near Smith Avenue in West. St. Paul around noon Wednesday.More >>

Driver arrested in morning Sioux Falls hit and run

Wednesday, July 30 2014 12:52 PM EDT2014-07-30 16:52:33 GMT
    Sioux Falls Police identified the driver charged in this morning's SUV into house accident as 31 year old Shawn Essem, the SUV slammed into a house, nearly hitting a woman inside. More >>
    More >>

Effort aims for no fatalities on I-90, I-94

Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:06 AM EDT2014-07-30 14:06:07 GMT
    Law enforcement agencies in the Dakotas are joining counterparts in 13 other states in a four-day interstate enforcement campaign on Interstates 90 and 94.More >>

Stickney, Corsica school districts to consolidate

Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:04 AM EDT2014-07-30 14:04:41 GMT
    Voters in Stickney and Corsica have overwhelmingly voted to consolidate their school districts.More >>

Sioux City riverboat casino prepares for last day

Wednesday, July 30 2014 9:20 AM EDT2014-07-30 13:20:25 GMT
    The Argosy riverboat casino is preparing to take its last bets Wednesday, having told the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission that it will close by 5 p.m. as ordered.More >>

South Dakota task force to study child sex abuse

Wednesday, July 30 2014 6:44 AM EDT2014-07-30 10:44:45 GMT
    A South Dakota task force will study the sexual abuse of children and recommend ways to address the issue.More >>
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KSFY. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service or our EEO Report.