A Mississippi coroner says a South Dakota man found dead in a tent in Gulfport on Monday died of hypothermia. But authorities have been unable to find relatives of the man, identified as 59-year-old James Hooker.
Harrison County Coroner Gary Hargrove said Hooker is the Gulf coast region's first weather-related death in an arctic blast that began sweeping through the area Sunday, and the first cold-weather death in Harrison County in three years.
Hargrove says Hooker, from Sioux Falls, S.D., had pitched a one-man tent Sunday, when temperatures overnight plunged to the upper 20s.
The coroner says Hooker was wearing layers of clothing but his clothes were wet.
So far, 21 deaths nationwide have been blamed on the recent blast of arctic air.
Thursday, February 20 2014 7:42 PM EST2014-02-21 00:42:09 GMT
Behind the glory of football there are the scars and bruises. Some visible, some not. We still have much to learn about the health risk football puts on it's players, but some of the biggest strides inMore >>
Behind the glory of football there are the scars and bruises, some visible, some not. We still have much to learn about the health risk football puts on it's players, but some of the biggest strides in research are happening on South Dakota's fields.More >>
Monday, March 10 2014 9:49 PM EDT2014-03-11 01:49:28 GMT
A group of Sioux Falls community members and business leaders wants you to vote "No" to an outdoor pool, because they want a public indoor pool instead. Community Swim 365 held an open house Monday, givingMore >>
A group of Sioux Falls community members and business leaders wants you to vote "No" to an outdoor pool, because they want a public indoor pool instead.More >>
Monday, March 10 2014 9:25 PM EDT2014-03-11 01:25:50 GMT
FERGUS FALLS, Minn. (AP) - Fire crews spent hours battling flames at an ethanol plant just outside Fergus Falls. Fergus Falls Fire Chief Mark Hovland got a call about a fire at the Green Plains RenewableMore >>
Company spokesman Jim Stark says the fire was in a dryer system, which is in a separate building at the plant.More >>
Monday, March 10 2014 7:38 PM EDT2014-03-10 23:38:25 GMT
PIERRE, S.D. (AP) - The South Dakota House has passed a bill to regulate e-cigarettes. Representatives voted 60-10 in support of the measure. E-cigarettes are battery-powered devices that resembleMore >>
One opponent of the measure says nicotine is similar to caffeine and the bill is a governmental overreach.More >>
Monday, March 10 2014 7:36 PM EDT2014-03-10 23:36:38 GMT
PIERRE, S.D. (AP) - The South Dakota Senate has approved a statewide ban on texting while driving after approving changes that some senators say will never be accepted by the House of Representatives.More >>
The measure now returns to the House for consideration of the changes made by the House, but some senators say the measure may die because the House will never accept the changes approved by the Senate.More >>