Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. Putin hoping to tell world that Russia is back
If ceremony opening Sochi Olympics doesn't reshape country's global image, it should at least be a good show.
2. New guidelines aim at preventing strokes in women
Advice from the American Heart Association focuses on pregnancy and other risk factors that women face more than men.
3. AP science writer has questions and answers on weather extremes
Seth Borenstein says a plunge in the jet stream is bringing polar air south and east and leaving warm, dry weather to the west.
4. Austrians foaming over new tax on local sparkling wine
It's less than 1 euro a bottle, and other goods face new fees too, but the one on bubbly bothers people the most.
5. Chance of overhauling immigration laws unravels
House Speaker Boehner says it will be difficult for Republicans to pass bill in an election year because of their distrust of Obama.