Yankton man charged with homicide - KSFY News - Sioux Falls, SD News, Weather, Sports

Yankton man charged with homicide

Posted: Updated:

Update: YANKTON, S.D. (AP) - Authorities say a Yankton man has been charged with second-degree homicide as murder in connection with his uncle's death.

The Yankton Daily Press and Dakotan reports 28-year-old Joshua Charles Hudson is also charged with aggravated assault and grand theft.
Hudson was arrested Friday after a chase that started in Iowa and ended in South Dakota. Hudson asked for an attorney during a court hearing. His bond was set at $1 million.
Authorities say Hudson was driving his uncle's truck when arrested. They say officers found a blacksmith hammer in the truck that they believe Hudson used to apply blunt-force trauma to the victim's head.
Forty-six-year-old Todd Hudson was found dead in his Yankton home after police received a call for a welfare check. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.


A Yankton man was found dead in a mobile home, Friday morning and Police are calling it a homicide. It happened on the 1100 block of E. 8th Street near Peninah Street.  That's on the southeast part of town. 

The victim is Todd Hudson, 26, and police say the suspect is his nephew, 28 year-old Joshua Hudson. Hudson is behind bars in Yankton jail. 

Just after 8:30 a.m., police were called to the #8 mobile home in the court to check on a man who lives inside. Once they arrived, they found him dead inside. That began their investigation into how this happened. 


"When these kinds of things happen, it's getting scary. It almost makes me want to move and get where I'm safer," resident Vicki Wiebersiek said. 

Despite concerns, police say the community will always be a safe one.

"This is isolated. I would suspect there was a rub between this uncle and nephew. Seems like every time it's family-related, there's something in the background. This isn't something people should fear. Suspect is in custody," Chief Brian Paulsen said. 

Relatives and neighbors led police to the victim's nephew, Joshua Hudson, who fled the scene Friday morning and drive to Sioux City.

He led authorities on a high-speed chase that reached speeds in excess of 100 mph.

Authorities used stopping mechanisms to slow him down but he drove around them and lost control into a field. Authorities took him under arrest back into Yankton. 

"Suspect Hudson has invoked his Miranda rights so we don't have a lot of information. That's what's going to take us a lot of time, interviewing people in the area, residents as well as parties that have called in to figure out if it was a disagreement or what. We don't have a motive at this point," Paulsen said. "There's so much info coming in. We've heard gunshots, we've examined the body preliminary. The body is still clothed. Until we move him or get him in for an autopsy, we won't tell if he's been shot or not."

An autopsy will be completed to determine the exact cause of death. 


Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KSFY. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service or our EEO Report.