Recipe from Robert Landis of Waterloo, IA
- 1/2-pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion chopped coarse
- 1-1/2 cups medium macaroni shells or 3/4-cup elbow macaroni
- 1 can 14 -1/2 oz. diced tomatoes
- Tomato juice
- 2 Tbs. Margarine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni until not quite done, drain and wash with cold water.
- Brown ground beef and onions together in 10-inch wide, 2-inch deep frying pan.
- Drain well, put back into the frying pan, and add tomatoes, macaroni and margarine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomato juice to fill pan within 1/2 inch of top.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer with lid on for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid off and simmer another 15 minutes so that it is reduced down. If it still is too runny, keep simmering with lid off until it is the consistency you want.
Do not overcook the macaroni, as it will continue to cook while simmering.