Authorities believe Hartford man's death linked to carbon monoxide poisoning

The Minnehaha County Sheriff’s Office has released the name of a Hartford man who they believed died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

County authorities, Hartford Area Fire and Rescue, and Humboldt Ambulance responded to the 500 block of Crystal Drive in Hartford on Monday afternoon. There, they found Dustin Patch, 38, deceased in his attached garage. The cause of death is believed to be carbon monoxide poisoning from a portable generator.

Due to the recent power outages, the generator was used in the attached garage to power a sump pump inside the home.

In light of this incident, county authorities are encouraging the public to have carbon monoxide detectors inside their homes and to use portable generators in well ventilated areas away from their homes.