ROSWELL, S.D. (KSFY) - It’s been a tough week for one South Dakota family after they lost their home in a fire Wednesday in Roswell. KSFY News spoke with the couple today to see how their coping with this loss.
James and Carol lived in this house for over 25 years and they're trying to find a way to move forward.
Wednesday night was just like any other for the Stainbrook’s.
They started their night by celebrating James' birthday with a dinner.
But at 1:30 in the morning they woke up to smoke filling their home.
"We tried putting the fire out and it was the electrical wire in the basement or plug in down there that caught the wall on fire," Carol Stainbrook said.
"When the plastic from the basement the insulation plastic started putting out a black toxic fume we just you couldn't stand it. It would just burn your lungs and everything," James Stainbrook said.
Carol called 911 and tried using a fire extinguisher, but the fire got bigger.
"And it took the fire department 20 minutes to get there and then they wanted to know who the electric company was and they took another hour so we watched it burn to the ground because nobody could do anything until the electricity was shut off," Carol said.
The Stainbrook’s are now left with nothing but memories as the fire destroyed every piece of their home.
After the fire, Carol reached out to Benson’s Flea Market where she sells her knitted scarfs and stocking hats. James sells his metal and other items.
"I called Kari and asked her if she would ask the vendors if they had any household items that we could use and she took 120 percent and above 200,000 times more than expected," Carol said.
But the flea market didn’t stop there. They started a Go Fund Me page that has a goal of $50,000.
Today a home filled with 25 years of memories, laughs and special moments is left in rubble, but James and Carol tell me they're trying to find a way to move on.
"I always wanted a house that looked like it was back from the early 1800s. It’s just stuff you can't take with you when you die anyways. We’ve learned to pick ourselves up and keep going," James said.
You can donate to that Go Fund Me page here.