DOWNTOWN SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - Hundreds of corvettes will line Main and Phillips Avenues in Downtown Sioux Falls Wednesday from 5:30 PM to 10:30 PM. Corvette owners from all over the country will bring their cars to Sioux Falls for the "hottest nite" of the year.
The cars will be lined on Phillips and Main Avenues between 10th and 14th Streets. These streets in Downtown will be closed starting at 5:15 PM that night. There will be beverage tents, non-food vendors, corvettes and street musicians scattered throughout those boundaries.
The Midco Kid's Zone will be in the Midco lot at 13th Street and Phillips Avenue. It will feature a "touch-a-truck" event with vehicles for kids to interact with.
The food & beverage court will be in the Great Western Bank parking lot, which is directly north of the Washington Pavilion. More than 10 food vendors will be there. Live entertainment from 10 Miles from Nowhere and the Guilty Pleasures Orchestra will be in the northwest corner of the Washington Pavilion.
To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the event, here are 25 facts about the event:
1. The annual Hot Summer Nites event has seen over 71,000 attendees in the past 5 years.
2. The inaugural event took place on June 9, 1993.
3. In the first event, there were just 200 attendees and seven food & beverage vendors.
4. Many businesses stayed open for an extended period of time in that first event, including Great Outdoor Store, Minervas & Zandbroz.
5. There will be 11 food vendors on site at this year’s event in 2018.
6. The Crazy Days sales promotion was added to Hot Summer Nites in 1994 and was extended into a two-day event.
7. Main Street Sioux Falls began its partnership with the Black Hills Corvette Classic in 1997.
8. Attendance numbers jumped to over 30,000 for the July 1998 event. 9. Local percussionists with SuFuDu performed at the August 7th 1998 event and will perform again this year, 20 years later.
10. Iowa Rock & Roll Hall of Fame band The Rumbles performed for 15 consecutive years at Hot Summer Nites with their final performance in July 2015.
11. Proceeds from all beverage sales at the event go back to the DTSF organization to put on more events throughout the year.
12. A kids area was added to the event in 2017. It's located at 13th Street & Phillips Avenue featuring a ‘touch-a-truck’ event.
13. Local bands 10 Miles From Nowhere and Guilty Pleasures Orchestra will perform on the main stage, located in the intersection of 11th & Dakota near the Washington Pavilion.
14. You will likely see Sioux Falls Santa volunteering in one of the beverage tents. Santa volunteers at many DTSF events throughout the year!
15. It takes nearly 80 volunteers to put on the Hot Summer Nites event. Each volunteer receives a commemorative t-shirt!
16. The Sioux Falls Corvette Club organizes the Black Hills Corvette Classic each year, in and around Spearfish, SD, the third week of in July.
17. The Black Hills Corvette Classic will have a booth selling commemorative shirts and more items.
18. The Grand Falls Casino & Golf Resort booth at the event will have a chance for you to win a grand prize package featuring a night’s stay and more!
19. Hot Summer Nites is the kickoff to a pilgrimage of over 400 Corvettes across the state of South Dakota!
20. This is the 47th year of the Black Hills Corvette Classic.
21. Registered Corvettes are allowed to park at the Hot Summer Nites event. You can register at Jerry’s Corvette Center in Beresford from 9am to 3pm on Wednesday, July 18th, or on site at the event. You just have to find a volunteer!
22. Hot Summer Nites happens during the busiest event season of the year, sandwiched between Hot Harley Nights and JazzFest.
23. This year's event is from 5:30 PM until 10:30 PM.
24. There is free parking throughout downtown after 5:00 PM. One place close to the event is in the 1st Avenue Parking Ramp.
25. There is no smoking or outside beverages allowed inside this event.
For more information on the event, you can visit this link.