BRIDGEWATER, S.D. (KSFY) - A well-known family in the Sioux Falls community is piecing their lives back together after a fire broke out at their home one week ago. Rebel Hurd who is a part of Church on the Street lost her home and everything in it.
It was just another Super Bowl Sunday for the Hurd family that is until a fire broke out here destroying everything. Now this home full of memories is now a pile of burnt remains.
Rebel Hurd is a mission developer for Church on the Street and spends a lot of her time helping the homeless get back on their feet.
"It's really a good job and I’m so glad that these people are here to give me all the hugs because I’m going to take some of them back that I’ve been giving out for a few years," Rebel Hurd said.
The fire started a week ago on Super Bowl Sunday. Rebel said her family was preparing snacks for the big game when grease splattered and caught dust in the air. Within three minutes the fire took over the house.
"I mean when you have 20 years of your life and memories and raising your children it's hard to watch it burn down," Hurd said.
"At no time did I waiver in my faith or ask why this happened it just did," Hurd added.
Rebel said her family may have lost a home but said she hasn't lost the memories or love.
That same love is now being shown by the community. They're coming to her rescue the same way she's been there for others over the years.
"I was staying at the mission and she came in and everybody was talking about Pastor Rebel Pastor Rebel and I spotted her and I caught her and I told her I wanted to have a meeting with her," Church on the Street Leader, Cindy Day said.
After that meeting two years ago Cindy is back on her feet putting in time to the organization that helped her out.
"And she's just been an angel in my life if it wasn't for her I don't know where I’d be right now," Day said.
"It doesn't matter if you don't have nothing or if you have the largest mansion in the state I am so humbled that all of our people this congregation the amount of love I can't put it into words," Hurd said.
This is the Church on the Street van that Rebel used to travel in to help the homeless in need.
"The Church on the Street van was burnt down so I kind of need that because that's what I go around and share the love of Christ and deliver the hand warmers and the coats and the food and the hot breakfast cereals," Hurd said.
But even though Rebel and her family lost so much in the fire she said she's just glad they are all OK.
"I don't know what the next steps are I’m just going to take it one day at a time and pray that God's got this," Hurd added.
The family said although there isn't much of their home left they're looking ahead to start rebuilding their lives.
You can donate to the Hurd families Go Fund Me page. The community has already raised more than $13,000 dollars.