1 (21.41-ounce) package carrot cake mix
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
3 large eggs
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups confectioners' sugar
DirectionsTo Make Cakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat baking sheets with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine cake mix (see Note), oil, water, and eggs; beat well. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets about 2 inches apart. (Since "cakes" will be baked in batches, refrigerate batter until ready to place on baking sheets.)
3. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cakes cool slightly then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
To Make Cream Cheese Filling:
1. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until fluffy.
2. Beat in confectioners' sugar 1 cup at a time until smooth.
1. Turn half the cooled cakes over onto their rounded sides and spread a dollop of filling over them. Place the other half of the cakes on top of the filling, forming sandwiches. Refrigerate until ready to serve.