NOTRE DAME, Ind. - Freshman Nic McCay struck out a season-high 11 batters en route to a complete-game shutout, leading South Dakota State to an 8-0 victory Sunday and a three-game sweep of Purdue Fort Wayne in Summit League baseball action.
In extending their winning streak to five games, the Jackrabbits improved to 14-10 overall and 7-2 in league play. PFW dropped to 4-21 overall and 0-9 in The Summit League.
A right-hander from Carlisle, Iowa, McCay retired 12 Mastodon hitters in a row in a stretch between the final out of the third inning and first two outs of the seventh. While walking only one and scattering seven hits (all singles), McCay struck out the side in the first inning and tallied at least one strikeout in every frame except the sixth in recording his fourth win of the season.
SDSU capitalized on a pair of Mastodon errors to take a 3-0 lead through two innings. After drawing back-to-back walks to open the game, Drew Beazley and Nick Smith executed a double steal, with Beazley scoring the first run of the game on an errant throw to third base. Beazley added a two-run single after a Mastodon outfield error in the second inning.
Center fielder Landon Badger was the hitting star for SDSU as he went 3-for-3 for the second game in a row, including a two-run triple in the fourth inning that pushed the Jackrabbit lead to 5-0. Badger also walked twice and scored the final run of the game on a bases-loaded walk to Matthew Krambeck in the top of the ninth.
The Jackrabbits finished with 12 hits, including two each by Beazley, Logan Holtz and Josh Falk.
Alec Brunson and Travis Upp each tallied two hits for Purdue Fort Wayne.
The Jackrabbits are tentatively scheduled to play their home opener Wednesday against Dakota State. First pitch is set for 3 p.m. at Erv Huether Field.
• Sunday's game was moved to Notre Dame's Frank Eck Stadium after heavy rain fell in the Fort Wayne area on Saturday
• The Jackrabbits lead the all-time series, 55-14, and have won 14 of the last 15 games against Purdue Fort Wayne
• SDSU starting pitchers have thrown five or more innings in 18 of 24 games this season, including all nine Summit League games
• The Jackrabbits recorded their first three-game sweep in a Summit League road series since posting three consecutive wins at Fort Wayne in 2017 (May 12-14)
• McCay's nine-inning shutout was the first by a Jackrabbit pitcher since Stephen Bougher tossed a three-hitter at SIU Edwardsville on March 16, 2012
• Badger began Summit League play 0-for-22 at the plate before recording six consecutive hits over the last two games
• Badger's three-hit game was his fourth of the season
• Beazley is hitting a team-best .423 (11-for-26) in league games
• Gus Steiger was hit by a pitch to reach base safely for the 19th consecutive game
• SDSU set a season high with three triples (Badger, Holtz, Braeden Brown)