The South Dakota State women's basketball team won its league-leading sixth Summit League regular-season title after recording a 100-62 win over Western Illinois Saturday afternoon in front of 3,064 fans at Frost Arena.
The Jackrabbits, who have now won 13-straight games overall, are the No. 1 seed in the Summit League Championship, which is March 9-12.
South Dakota State, 23-6 and 15-1, extended its home win streak to nine games. All five of the Jackrabbits' starters scored in double figures. Macy Miller scored a game-high 24 points while Tylee Irwin and Tagyn Larson each added 17 points. Irwin grabbed a career-high 12 rebounds for her first collegiate double-double. Sydney Palmer sank all five of her shots for a season-tying 11 points and Madison Guebert scored 10 points.
Western Illinois, 12-17, 8-8, was led by Olivia Kaufmann's 17 points.
The Jackrabbits opened the game on an 11-0 run. Larson scored five points while Palmer added four during that stretch. Irwin scored 14 of her points in the first quarter before Palmer scored before the first quarter horn blared to give SDSU a 34-17 lead.
Miller, who did not score in the first quarter, scored six points to give the Jackrabbits a 42-22 lead with 6:45 left in the half. She scored 10 points in the quarter as SDSU led 54-31 at halftime.
Miller then scored 14 points in the third quarter as the Jackrabbits pushed their lead to 30, 78-48, on a Miller 3-pointer with 2:45 remaining. SDSU led 81-56.
The Jackrabbits reached 100 points for the first time this season when Addison Hirschman scored with 59 seconds remaining.
- The Jackrabbits improved to 24-2 over Western Illinois, winning its fifth consecutive game in the series.
- SDSU finished the league season undefeated in Frost Arena for the seventh time in 12 seasons.
- Miller entered today's game second on The Summit League all-time scoring list with 2,199 career points. She now has 2,223 points and is 55 points short of the all-time scoring mark.
- With 10 points today, Guebert now has 1,737 career points and needs 11 points to take over fourth all-time.
- South Dakota State improved to 18-0 when outrebounding its opponent. The Jacks recorded 52 rebounds to Western Illinois' 30.
- By allowing Western Illinois six points in the fourth quarter, South Dakota State has now recorded 17 quarters allowing nine-or-less points in a quarter this season.
South Dakota State plays in its 11th Summit League Championship March 9-12 in the Denny Sanford PREMIER Center in Sioux Falls.