Stampede Fall at Tri-City

Kearney, NE—Another rough second period was the difference for the Sioux Falls Stampede in Kearney on Friday night. Tied 2-2 with the Storm heading into the second, Tri-City scored two goals in the second and pulled away from the Herd in the third for a 7-3 victory over the Stampede. Brian Chambers, Jami Krannila and Artem Ivanyuzhenkov all tallied goals in the game for the Herd who were shut down in the second by the league’s best goaltender.

The Stampede were hoping to get off on the right foot in Kearney, but it would be the Storm grabbing the first goal of the game. Filip Forsmark wristed a shot from the top of the left circle into the upper right hand corner of the net to make it a 1-0 game. The Herd would respond at 9:39 when Brian Chambers tallied his second of the year. Jared Westcott drove towards the Storm net and his shot stopped, but the rebound bounced in front of the crease where Chambers lifted the puck into the back of the net to tie the game 1-1.

It remained that way until the 15:15 when the Storm would regain the lead when Jake Crespi wristed a shot past Stampede goaltender Chad Veltri for a 2-1 advantage. The Herd would once again tie the game at 18:14 when Jami Krannila tallied his sixth of the year. The play started with Ethan Phillips breaking across the Storm zone on a 2-on-1, Phillips danced around a Storm defender and sent a perfect pass through the slot Krannila who quickly skated in and one-timed the puck into the back of the net to tie the game at two. The Storm outshot the Stampede 13-12 in the period.

It took Tri-City just 30 seconds into the second period to take the lead back. Jake Crespi wristed a shot from just inside the right circle and over the glove of Veltri for a 3-2 lead. That sent Veltri to the bench for Jaxson Stauber. The Storm would welcome Stauber with another goal at 2:46 when Keaton Pehrson skated around the Stampede defense and then wristed a shot from the slot right under the left pad of Stauber for a 4-2 advantage. The Herd had some great opporutnities later in the period to get back in the game, but Tri-City goaltender Isaiah Saville showed why he is the top goaltender in the league and made several big saves to deny the Herd and maintain a two-goal lead heading into the third period.

Any chance of comeback in the third went away just 5:20 into the third period when Colton Kalezic scored on his own rebound to give Tri-City a 5-2 advantage. Chase McLane made it 6-2 at 9:09 when his wrist shot from the left circle snuck past Stauber’s glove. The Herd broke out of their power play slump with a power play tally at 16:32 when Austen Swankler sent a pass into the slot for Artem Ivanyuzhenkov who one-timed it past the USHL’s top goaltender to bring the Herd within three. Moments later penalties on both sides put the teams at 4-on-4, but the Herd pulled Stauber for an extra attacker. Ronnie Atterd scored an empty net goal off the face off when he shot the puck from his own goal line into the Stampede net for a 7-3 victory.

Tri-City outshot the Stampede 12-9 in the third period and 41-31 on the night. The Storm went 1-for-5 on the power play while the Stampede were 1-for-3.
The Herd will look to get back on track Saturday when they travel to Des Moines to face the Buccaneers at 7:05 PM. Fans can catch the game live on KELO News Talk 1320-AM, 105.1-FM, 107.9-FM and starting at 6:40 PM.