Stampede Move Into 2nd Place with Shootout Win

Waterloo, IA—In one of the most exciting games of the year, the Sioux Falls Stampede found a way to rally once again at Young Arena and earned a hard fought 5-4 shootout victory.

The win moved the Stampede (34-14-7) into a second place tie (75pts) with the Black Hawks (34-14-7) while earning the season series with a 4-1-1 record. Anthony Romano led the way with two goals while Max Crozier tallied a goal and an assist in the victory. Alec Calvaruso stopped 30 of 34 shots and all three shooters in the shootout to earn his 17th win of the season.

If you were expecting a defensive battle in the first you would be disappointed. The Black Hawks grabbed the first goal of the game just 3:30 into the game when James Marooney blasted a shot from the high slot past the glove of Alec Calvaruso for a 1-0 lead. The Hawks extended their lead at 10:36 when Emil Ohrvall tallied his eighth goal of the season against the Herd while on the power play. Joe Cassetti sent a pass into the right circle for Ohrvall who quickly one-timed the puck into the net for a 2-0 lead.

Sioux Falls went on the power play a couple minutes later and got back into the game with a goal at 13:48. Ethan Phillips wristed a shot on net that was deflected by Austen Swankler and stopped by Waterloo goaltender Evan Fear, but Anthony Romano knocked the puck down in mid-air and into the net to make it a 2-1 game. The Hawks would earn the two-goal lead back at 18:15 when Vladislav Firstov slipped the puck past the glove of Calvaruso. It appeared the Herd would be down by two heading into the second, but Max Crozier got the Herd within a goal with just seven seconds left when he brought the puck by himself into the zone and ripped a shot from the top of the right circle into the net. Sioux Falls outshot the Hawks 14-13 in the period.

The Stampede carried that momentum over into the second and tied the game at 5:05 when Crozier sent a pass in front of the net to Sam Stevens who one-timed it home. Minutes later the Herd went back on the power play and converted again as Romano tallied his second of the night and 25th of the season. Swankler knocked down a loose puck in the air and put it onto his stick before sending a perfect pass to Romano who was all alone in front of the net and put it away to give Sioux Falls a 4-3. The Herd would carry the for the rest of the period, but Artem Ivanyuzhenkov was flagged for tripping with just one second remaining to give Waterloo the power play to start the third. Sioux Falls outshot Waterloo 17-8 in the period.

The Stampede drew a penalty on Waterloo just 33 seconds in to even things out, but Waterloo went back on the power play at 4:14 when Logan Britt was called for interference. The Hawks converted at 4:58 when Xander Lampa picked up a loose rebound in front of the net and backhanded it home to tie the game. Both teams had some chances to take the lead with both teams tallying 12 shots in the period, but the game would head to overtime.

The Herd started the extra session with the man advantage and nearly won the game when Swankler one-timed a pass towards the net, but Fear made an amazing save sliding over in the crease to get the puck and knock it away. The Black Hawks nearly won the game in the final seconds when Ohrvall broke free on a breakaway and backhanded a shot that was stopped by a sliding Calvaruso to force a shootout.
Ivanyuzhenkov scored in round two in what would prove to be the only goal needed in the shootout. Calvaruso was solid and stopped all three shooters as the Herd took the shootout 1-0 and the game 5-4.
The Herd return home this Friday and Saturday night to host Fargo and Cedar Rapids at the PREMIER Center