Stampede Win Streak Ends in Omaha

Ralston, NE—The Sioux Falls Stampede saw their five-game winning streak come to an end after a poor third period resulted in a 4-1 loss to the Omaha Lancers Friday night at Ralston Arena. With the game tied 1-1 entering the third period, the Lancers scored three times, once on the power play and once shorthanded to hand the Herd their first regulation loss since October 28th.

Nolan Walker tallied the Herd’s only goal of the game while Mikhail Berdin stopped 34 shots in goal as the Herd fell to 9-5-5 on the season.
After killing off an early penalty the Stampede grabbed the first goal of the game when Nolan Walker extended his point scoring streak to seven games with a goal at 4:18. Walker took the puck just inside the right circle and ripped it into the upper right-hand corner of the net for his ninth goal of the season.

The celebration wouldn’t last long for the Herd though as Christian O’Neill tied the game for Omaha (8-7-1) with a blast from the high slot that beat Mikhail Berdin on the glove side. Both teams would exchange a power play chance, but neither would score and the game would remain tied 1-1 heading into the second period. The Lancers outshot the Herd 13-6 in the period.

After a scoreless second period in which the Lancers outshot the Herd 10-6, the Lancers got the best of the Herd in the third. A minor penalty late in the second period on the Stampede carried over into the third and the Lancers cashed in just 35 seconds into the period when Brendan Furry wristed a shot from the right point that went through traffic and past Berdin to give Omaha their first lead of the night at 2-1. Omaha doubled their lead just 20 seconds later when Travis Mitchell drove to the net and wristed a shot into the back of the net to make it a 3-1 hockey game.

Things looked like they might be turning for the better with just over eight minutes remaining in regulation as the Herd went on a five-minute power play, but it would be the Lancers creating all the scoring chances. The Stampede turned the puck over twice leading to shorthanded breakaway chances that were both stopped by Berdin, but Omaha put the game away for good at 13:42 when Brendan Furry sent a backdoor pass to Noah Cates who snuck past the Stampede defense and tucked the puck into the back of the net for a 4-1 advantage. Omaha outshot the Herd 15-4 in the period and 38-16 in the game.

Omaha finished the night 1-for-4 on the power play while the Herd were held scoreless on three attempts.
The Stampede return to action Saturday night when they travel to Cedar Rapids to face the RoughRiders at 7:05 PM. Fans can catch all the action live on KELO News Talk 1320-AM, 107.9-FM, 105.1-FM and on starting at 6:40 PM.