USHL: Stampede's rally comes up short in Dubuque

Dubuque, IA—The Sioux Falls Stampede rallied for two late goals, but came up just short in a 3-2 loss to the Dubuque Fighting Saints Saturday night at the Mystique Community Ice Center. The win snapped the Stampede’s ten game unbeaten streak in regulation and marked the first time since January 20th the Stampede did not earn at least a point in a game. Sioux Falls’ still remain in a second place tie with Waterloo with 16 games remaining in the regular season. Adam Dawe and Jack St. Ivany tallied goals for the Herd while Mikhail Berdin stopped 34 of 37 shots in goal for the Stampede.

After a scoreless first period in which the Stampede outshot the Fighting Saints 11-6, the Saints started to pick up the play in the second. Outshooting the Herd 15-3 in the period, Dubuque finally found the back of the net with just 41 seconds remaining in the period. Alexander Steeves broke into the Stampede zone down the right-wing wall and sent a pass through the slot to Chayse Primeau who tapped the puck past the stick side of Mikhail Berdin for a 1-0 lead.

Primeau was at it again just 1:20 into the third period give the Saints a 2-0 when he knocked home a feed from Quinn Preston. The Stampede went on the power play at 7:39 of the period, but it would be Dubuque taking advantage. Off a turnover, Chase Weaver sent a pass up the middle of the ice to Primeau who skated in all alone and wristed a shot past the glove of Berdin to give the Fighting Saints a comfortable 3-0 lead. It marked the eighth time this season the Stampede have allowed a shorthanded goal.

As the Stampede have shown all season though, you can’t count them out and they got back into the game at 14:06 when Adam Dawe scored on the power play. AJ Villella took a shot from the left point that was deflected by Dawe into the back of the net to give the Stampede some life. The Herd pulled within a goal at 17:08 when Jack St. Ivany tallied his fifth of the year. The Saints tried to clear the puck, but St. Ivany jumped up and snatched the puck out of the air at the blue line, skated into the slot and blasted a shot into the upper right-hand corner of the net to make it a 3-2 game. The Herd would pull Berdin in the final 90 seconds for an extra attacker and nearly tied the game, but couldn’t get the bounce they needed and came up just short in the game.

Dubuque outshot the Herd 12-10 in the third period and 37-24 in the game. The Stampede finished the night 1-for-6 on the power play while Dubuque was 0-for-5.

The Stampede return to action on Friday when they travel to Des Moines to face the Buccaneers at 7:05 PM. Sioux Falls returns home to the PREMIER Center on Friday, March 9th when they host Sioux City for Stomp’s Birthday Party, presented by Dental Solutions. The first 500 kids will get free Stampede hand clappers and goodie bags to celebrate Stomp’s birthday. Tickets are available through the PREMIER Center or any Ticketmaster outlet.